Welcome

Elizabeth K. Joseph lyz at ubuntu.com
Sun Sep 13 05:29:30 UTC 2015

On Fri, Sep 11, 2015 at 1:58 PM, Randall Ross  <randall at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Given the ease of creating Launchpad teams, and given that there may be some community projects and activities that would benefit from a named "Ubuntu Community Team" gathering place, I set up a Launchpad page here:
>
> https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-community-team
>
> Join and enjoy. (If you have projects and stuff that you want to do, Blueprints can be registered there.)

You are correct that it's easy to create, but you have created several
problems with this move:

1. Upset members of this team by taking action regarding a resource on
behalf of the team without discussion. You gave us no opportunity to
chime in on whether this is a good idea and whether the maintenance
burden is worth it, and that's not how I'm used to members of our
community acting.

2. Created a governance problem by making yourself the owner of the
team. We've been doing a fine as a loose-knit, leaderless discussion
list. The need for an owner of that team makes us now need to decide
who that should be and develop some kind of governance structure,
which I had hoped to avoid. Since the Community Council spear-headed
the creation of this list I'm inclined to say they should also own the
Launchpad team, but this is something we now have to discuss.

3. Created a second place for us to store community blueprints with no
clear indication of why this is necessary. I'd like to see discussion
as to why our creation of community blueprints in the Ubuntu project
are no longer sufficient.

For reference, you can find all summit blueprints for the past couple
summits as follows, the ones that include "community" are ones that
impact us:

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/sprints/uos-1411
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/sprints/uos-1505

Some teams do have blueprints in their own, established launchpad
teams, but this is typically because they're already using launchpad,
not because they created a launchpad account just to use blueprints.

4. Ignored the burden of maintenance of this resource.

4a. I've lost count of the number of Launchpad teams I've had to work
with groups to revive when the owner disappears or is not acting in
the interest of the broader group. This is a tedious process that
requires supporting documentation and taking time from Launchpad
admins.

4b. See 3, the blueprints created leading up to the summits will
either need to be moved out of the Ubuntu project or linked to this
project every time they are created. This is a maintenance burden that
takes time for whoever is in charge of this team.

I hope you'll consider these things as we move forward with this
discussion and now understand why people were so upset.