Welcome

Randall Ross  randall at ubuntu.com
Fri Sep 11 22:46:03 UTC 2015

On 09/11/2015 03:13 PM, Nathan Haines wrote:
> On 09/11/2015 02:37 PM, Alberto Salvia Novella wrote:
>> Nathan Haines:
>>  > I think an Ubuntu Community Team on Launchpad is actively harmful.
>>
>> Why? 😮
>
> Because it doesn't exist.  Canonical has an Ubuntu Community Team, all
> of whom I know well, count as friends, and work very hard.
Yes we do :) Thanks for the shout-out. But, a team that is passionate
about community exists beyond the confines of Canonical.

> But this list isn't an actual team itself.  It's a mailing list for
> Ubuntu advocates and enthusiasts--on other teams or as individuals--to
> come together in a way that the loco-contacts mailing list didn't
> really allow.  It fills a real gap and is useful, but is simply a
> discussion forum.
Teams aren't lists and vice-versa. And, people can be part of a
"Community Team" that supports/advocates Ubuntu without being a part of
Canonical. I'm happy that there are people who are interested in doing this.

> So now this new Launchpad team: conflicts with an existing team name,
> causes confusion, serves no useful purpose, diverts attention from
> actual activity, and dilutes practical effort by causing
> administrative upkeep.
These are hypothetical. And, if we have community members that can share
the fun (upkeep) then all the better!

> I don't think bringing up the idea of a Launchpad team or discussing
> the potential uses is a problem, but to unilaterally create a team
> with an invalid name is definitely a problem and Randall of all people
> should know better.

I don't speak for you and I'd ask that you extend to me the same courtesy.

I'll tell you what I *do* know: Great people come from our community and
we should embrace them, empower them by helping with infrastructure,
etc., and thank them when they show an interest in getting involved and
helping Ubuntu. Enthusiasm is contagious.

Cheers,
Randall.