donation to flavours in 2012

Jonathan Riddell jr at jriddell.org
Thu May 14 13:19:37 UTC 2015

On Thu, May 14, 2015 at 05:11:03AM -0700, Nathan Haines wrote:
> On 05/14/2015 04:29 AM, Jonathan Riddell wrote:
>
> >Kubuntu never saw any of this money.  Did anyone from other flavours
> >see any better support beyond what was already established?  Ubuntu
> >Gnome was added in the 13.04 release but I doubt that added any
> >significant costs to what was already allocated.
>
> How many funding requests did Kubuntu make, and how many were rejected?

There was no way to ask for this money and there still isn't. They
collected it using our name without our consultation.

> >Despite being on ubuntu.com the final donation goes to Canonical and
> >decisions on this community fund are taken by Canonical's community
> >team which has said it otherwise isn't involved with Ubuntu community
> >teams outwith the ones Canonical is interested in.  Does anyone agree
> >this seems a mismatched setup?
>
> No, not at all.  Canonical is collecting the money and paying the taxes
> and administering the funds.  This is a pretty ubiquitous arrangement in
> projects that have an incorporated entity, and not out of the ordinary.

Canonical is not an incorporated entity with which Kubuntu is part,
that has been the case since Feb 2012.

> A more serious breach of trust is to spend the money on other things
> instead.

Yes, this is what Michael has said is the case.

> >would rather I let it drop, should
> >I?
>
> If the substance of the complaint is that you didn't receive money you
> didn't ask for, then probably.

I have asked numberous times for the community council to administer
this money.  I never asked for Canonical to collect it, it should not
be up to me to sort out their finances.

Jonathan