Canonical’s IPRights Policy incompa

Jonathan Riddell jr at jriddell.org
Sat May 2 08:58:51 UTC 2015

On Sat, May 02, 2015 at 10:42:58AM +0200, Daniel Holbach wrote:
> Flavours always were and continue to be very important to Ubuntu and
> Canonical. Even derivatives in the outer circle of Ubuntu, like Mint are
> doing well and have no issues I'm aware of.

I pointed out a very important issue in starting this thread.

> I would like to ask everyone who has a specific issue with the policy or
> sees their project hindered in any way to bring it up with the Canonical
> Legal team.

It has been brought up with canonical on numberous occations and at
all levels going up to Mark.  It has only ever been responded to with
assurances that it is being looked into or that that's just how it has
to be.  They are clearly unwilling to engage with the issue and
constant calls to refer to them are unhelpful.

This is not a complex issue or one that is beyond that capabilities of
the Ubuntu community to understand.  Canonical are directly claiming
that Ubuntu packages can not be freely shared. It is a very direct
restriction of basic open source freedoms.  The Ubuntu Community
Council should be making a strong statement that the claim is untrue
but they seem to be unwilling which makes me wonder how else can the
Ubuntu community stand up for its own basic policies.

Jonathan