Canonical’s IPRights Policy incompatible with Ubuntu licence policy

Michael Hall mhall119 at ubuntu.com
Fri May 1 23:03:14 UTC 2015

I'm going to go out on a limb and assume I speak for the rest of the CC
when I say that we absolutely do agree that Ubuntu is Free Software and
that Canonical and everybody else should comply with the copyright
licenses of the software that is distributed as part of it. However,
that was not what Jonathan asked of us.

We also believe that Canonical agrees with the above, and that they are
operating in good faith on the belief that they are compliance with it.
Whether or not the policy Canonical has put forward is legally compliant
with one or more copyright licenses in Ubuntu is a legal question that
the CC can not and will not answer.

We are not lawyers, and taking legal stances or giving legal advice is
not in the council's mandate. Please keep that in mind and respect that
everyone in this council cared deeply about Ubuntu, our upstreams and
our derivatives, even if we don't take the action that some people want
taken.

Michael Hall
mhall119 at ubuntu.com