Dialogue and moving forward

Paul Sladen ubuntu at paul.sladen.org
Sat Jun 20 17:11:50 UTC 2015

On Sat, 20 Jun 2015, Nathan Haines wrote:
> On 06/20/2015 09:15 AM, Jonathan Riddell wrote:
> > On Sat, Jun 20, 2015 at 09:08:08AM -0700, Richard Gaskin wrote:
> > > Mr. Rey would take the time to balance the discussion
> > But putting an article on a news site
> the Ubuntu Community Council's attempt to be discreet

(I wonder if there's cross-purposes; here are some links)

The text that Richard appears to have been referencing was written by
Charles Profitt (and/or others) and posted to the Ubuntu Community
Team mailing list on 29 June 2015:

  Profitt, Charles (29 June 2015 13:59:11 UTC)
  "Community Council Statement: Jonathan Riddell"
  https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-community-team/2015-May/000568.html

A copy-and-paste of this appears to have been uploaded to the Fridge
nineteen minutes later on 29 June 2015 by José Antonio Rey:

  Profitt, Charles; ed. Rey, José Antonio (29Maye 2015 14:18:19 UTC)
  "Community Council Statement: Jonathan Riddell"
  http://fridge.ubuntu.com/2015/05/29/community-council-statement-jonathan-riddell/

Reviewing the published membership of the Ubuntu Community Council, we
can see that José does not appear to be a member of the Ubuntu
Community Council:

  "Members of “Ubuntu Community Council”". Launchpad
  https://launchpad.net/~communitycouncil/+members

Hopefully re-capping on the above may help everyone to locate where
some of the potential confusion in this thread might have originated
from:

(1) the material highlighted by Richard was not written /for/ The
Fridge, (2) José was not the author of the material on The Fridge,
(3) the original statement was not linked on The Fridge---ie. what
Google might classify as duplicate content, (4) the original
authorship was not stated on The Fridge, and as a sanity check, (5)
with the timestamps 19 minutes apart, it would have been difficult for
most people to research an article, let alone write one afresh.

By way of comparision in that timeframe, it took myself (with
assistance of members of the Ubuntu Community Council) 2.5 hours to
source and locate the origin for each of the quotes given, in order to
enable re-reading of the earlier statement with context:

  Sladen, Paul (29 May 2015 16:46:46 UTC)
  "Community Council Statement: Jonathan Riddell - URLs"
  https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-community-team/2015-May/000572.html

I hope this is useful, and allows the discussion to proceed easily.

	-Paul