Community Council Statement: Jonathan Riddell - URLs

Paul Sladen ubuntu at paul.sladen.org
Fri May 29 16:46:46 UTC 2015

On Fri, 29 May 2015, the Ubuntu Community Council wrote:
> [https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-community-team/2015-May/000568.html]

URLs found from Googling/asking:

[1] Riddell, Jonathan (23 February 2015). (email)
"request for some pizzas"
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel/2015-February/038706.html
"If the funding from October 2012 really isn't included in the current
community fund and it simply has been stolen by Canonical this is
worse than I had thought."

[2](i) Riddell, Jonathan (19 March 2015). (IRC)
http://irclogs.ubuntu.com/2015/03/19/%23ubuntu-meeting.html#t17:43
"czajkowski: best stop giving in to their stalling and just make a
statement"

[2](ii) Riddell, Jonathan (19 March 2015). (IRC)
http://irclogs.ubuntu.com/2015/03/19/%23ubuntu-meeting.html#t17:35
"mhall119: make a public statement saying it is untrue and irrelevent"

[2](iii) Riddell, Jonathan (19 March 2015). (IRC)
http://irclogs.ubuntu.com/2015/03/19/%23ubuntu-meeting.html#t17:41
"pleia2: so make a public statement that it is untrue"

[2](iv) Riddell, Jonathan (19 March 2015). (IRC)
http://irclogs.ubuntu.com/2015/03/19/%23ubuntu-meeting.html#t17:42
"czajkowski: so time to give up on the canonical legal dept, they have
been stalling for a year, enough already"

[2](v) Riddell, Jonathan (19 March 2015). (IRC)
http://irclogs.ubuntu.com/2015/03/19/%23ubuntu-meeting.html#t17:40
"I'm astonished that the CC doesn't understand the basics of free
software or how it can be harmed by claims that our software is not
Free"

[2](vi) Czajkowski, Laura (19 March 2015). (IRC)
http://irclogs.ubuntu.com/2015/03/19/%23ubuntu-meeting.html#t17:43
"Riddell: you're really making this harder than needs be, you'd swear
the CC sit around doing nothing"

[2](vii) Profitt, Charles (19 March 2015). (IRC)
http://irclogs.ubuntu.com/2015/03/19/%23ubuntu-meeting.html#t17:44
"Riddell: In order to make a public statement on a legal matter the CC
would have to have a legal expert familiar with international law and
the laws of several countries. I do not feel qualified to make any
such public statement. I also would like to say that public thrashing
about on the topic does not help the situation either."

[2](viii) Profitt, Charles (19 March 2015). (IRC)
http://irclogs.ubuntu.com/2015/03/19/%23ubuntu-meeting.html#t17:46
"Riddell: I do not see it as an excuse Riddell, but I would like to
ask you to be more respectful of the people trying to sort through the
issue."

[3] Profitt, Charles (21 May 2015 12:43:41 UTC)
https://skitterman.wordpress.com/2015/05/26/information-exchange-between-the-ubuntu-community-council-and-the-kubuntu-council
"I wanted to send you a quick email to let you know the CC has
received your email and the one directly from Jonathan. We have a
few members who are not on-line currently and have not read the
email so I can not speak for them, but do you feel that a meeting
with the Kubuntu Council and the Community Council would be a good
step forward in this matter?"

[4] Schweingruber, Myriam (21 May 2015 21:30:12 UTC)
https://skitterman.wordpress.com/2015/05/26/information-exchange-between-the-ubuntu-community-council-and-the-kubuntu-council
"I am sure a meeting would be useful to clarify the situation,
but personally I am not happy with the threat issued to Jonathan,
I think this would need to be resolved before we meet."

[5] Kitterman, Scott (21 May 2015 23:39:36 UTC)
https://skitterman.wordpress.com/2015/05/26/information-exchange-between-the-ubuntu-community-council-and-the-kubuntu-council
"If the CC wants to have a discussion about a non-catastrophic
path forward, I think that would be wonderful, but I for one will
not be involved in such discussions what [sic] Jonathon is under
immediate threat."

> 'blue-headed stepchild'

"Blue-headed stepchild" appears to be a play-on-words of "red-headed
stepchild": [A][B][C][D]

  http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=red+headed+stepchild
  http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/red-headed-stepchild

	-Paul

[A] I wasn't familiar with either phrase.  I tracing the origin
backwards via the following sequence of posts below.[B][C][D] There
maybe other origins, but this is what I found to help me understand.

[B] Shuttleworth, Mark (10 March 2011)
"Internal competition is healthy, but depends on strong and mature
leadership"
http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/654
"We handle that very well, I think, though occasionally some muppet
calls Kubuntu the blue-headed-stepchild etc etc."

[C] Thomas, Jonathan (9 October 2008)
"Kubuntu, the Blue-headed Stepchild"
https://jontheechidna.wordpress.com/2008/10/09/kubuntu-the-blue-headed-stepchild/
"I do not find fault with Canonical/Ubuntu does to invest in
KDE/Kubuntu, but rather with what they (don’t) do in neglect of
KDE." "… becomes hard to do when the maintainers of other packages
routinely neglect the needs of Kubuntu, the Blue-headed stepchild."

[D] Anonymous (2 February 2008) (comment)
http://www.jonobacon.org/2008/02/01/canonical-and-kde/#comment-223293166
"Or come out right and admit that Kubuntu is the figurative
"red-headed stepchild" of the *buntu family."