Something for everyone

Paul Sladen ubuntu at paul.sladen.org
Sat Jun 13 02:36:21 UTC 2015

It's always quite hard for the wider *buntu community to know
progress; so firstly of all kudos to Mark, Marc, Stéphane, Pitti and
Kees for the visible and interesting discussion over on the
tech-board:

  "Proposal to help CC with potential conflicts of interest"
  https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/technical-board/2015-June/thread.html#2103

Also to David for the proactive insight into the community team's
recent work---it's likely to also be useful for the wider *buntu
community to appreciate what happens:

  "Community team week 24 summary"
  https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-community-team/2015-June/000593.html

I've not had the privilege of speaking to everyone (grab me if you'd
like, I'm opening to offering reflections and guidance to all equally
in the interests of being within a friendly community)---I've sensed a
couple of 'grumps' from both directions and I'm wondering whether it
might smooth things along by trying to find a solution to both, in
equal measure at the same time.  So, in no particular order:

  1. https://lists.launchpad.net/kubuntu-council/msg00038.html
  "CC has provided some more examples … this additional information was not
  sent to our mailing list but individually to the Kubuntu council members"

With this, there seems to be some confusion what whether it is desired
to publish the extra information.  I can't judge what it contains as I
haven't seen it, but I am able to see why it might be confusing to
express concerns about publication and then in-turn not to have it
published.  Equally I can see why it might be frustrating to have
information /delivered/ privately and then be unsure what to do with
it.  (If it's useful, of those I've spoken to, nobody has
[yet] expressed an objection to its publication).

  2. http://fridge.ubuntu.com/2015/05/29/community-council-statement-jonathan-riddell/
  "The Community Council is currently working on a communication to
  the Kubuntu Council with regard to their request for additional
  information."

With this, there seems to be some frustration that this page is
ranking high in search results.  I can see this viewpoint and how it
might be causing continued frustration especially as such a visible
reminder.  The post is a duplicate of material already on this list
archive, so I'm wondering if José might be able to weight on whether
it would be useful or might make sense to replace the article with
just a link to the archive here at:

  https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-community-team/2015-May/000568.html

...Conversation likely arrives more easily when individuals can see
and recognise equal frustrations and equal steps to willingness.  If
these two points are small bumps getting in the way of comfort for
everyone, I wonder if individuals on the Kubuntu Community Council
might be willing to look over a solution for point (1) while
individuals from the Ubuntu Community Council might be willing to look
over a solution for point (2).  And then to do these in tandem.

	-Paul