Team reports

Elizabeth K. Joseph lyz at ubuntu.com
Mon Dec 7 18:37:13 UTC 2015

On Mon, Dec 7, 2015 at 8:15 AM, Daniel Holbach
<daniel.holbach at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> I'm not sure how many are aware of it, but we've had team reports on the
> wiki for some time and they were a useful tool to find out what's happening:
>
>         https://wiki.ubuntu.com/TeamReports

I've been curating these pages for a few years, rotating them and
including them in UWN.

The current <<include >> style format allows teams a lot of
flexibility in how they write their reports as long as they avoid
headers that make the full report hard to read (not all teams follow
this). So we could encourage teams to include photos to make the
report look more interesting as Alberto mentions, or something.

> I have a couple of questions since I feel we could make them more useful
> again:
>
>  - Are you using team reports right now?

I do, but I think part of the reason I try to stay on top of them is
because I curate them, and even then I don't get around to it every
month in a timely manner. It's a tedious process that is essentially a
summary of already existing data (meetings, announcements, successes),
which I believe is useful as a report but I get no feedback as to
who/if anyone reads it. The exception may be the LoCos, since tracking
and reporting on their work is often an important part of what they
do. Even then, very few do reports (I'm even behind on the ones for
California).

>  - Could you imagine writing them for your team?
>  - How do you think we could make them more useful?
>
> One idea I already had was to add them to UWN, so more people find out
> about them. How else can we spread the news about them?

As I mentioned, the report IS included in UWN once per month (usually
around the early-middle of the month)[0], unless it's pretty empty
(has happened a couple times this year). The one for November is going
out in the newsletter today, but I would love to see it more
populated...

[0] See IssueTemplate:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuWeeklyNewsletter/IssueTemplate#Monthly_Team_Reports:_.3CMONTH.3E_.3CYEAR.3E