Recognising Ubuntu organisations

Ian Weisser ian-weisser at ubuntu.com
Fri Sep 12 03:56:03 UTC 2014

Winael wrote:

> I don't think that a award is the best way to respond to the
> NGO demands.
>
> In my opinion they are waiting for a particular status in community.

Agreed, I think that was what Daniel's original post was pointing
toward. I admit to steering in a somewhat different direction after some
thought.

I like Stephen's framework, and I think this would fall under the 'What'
or 'Who' questions. Do we want to recognize organizations, and why? What
does Ubuntu get from providing recognition to organizations? And is it
worth the effort?

Is it worth the risk to Ubuntu's reputation and trademark when a
recognized organization is scandalously exposed as unworthy?

Personally, bestowing some status (beyond member or award-winner) does
not seem worth the effort or risk. I don't see Ubuntu gaining much from
it.

Maybe it should work the other way around. Perhaps the NGO should reward
Ubuntu with some status for making their IT easier.