Ubuntu-community-team Digest, Vol 1, Issue 3

Mitchell Reese projects at curiouslegends.com.au
Tue Sep 9 20:58:00 UTC 2014

> Message: 1
> Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2014 09:58:49 +0200
> From: Daniel Holbach <daniel.holbach at ubuntu.com>
> To: ubuntu-community-team at lists.ubuntu.com
> Cc: Prakash Advani <prakash.advani at canonical.com>
> Subject: Recognising Ubuntu organisations
>
> Hello everybody,
>
> Prakash and I just had a conversation after an enquiry of an NGO which
> was looking to be recognised for their work done as a service provider
> for schools, hospitals, etc.
>
> Unfortunately so far we don't have an elaborate certification programme
> for NGOs/NPOs yet. There are no "Ubuntu Certified Labs", no "Ubuntu
> Campus Ambassadors" or "Ubuntu Community Service Partners" or anything
> of that sort, as we don't have training materials, certification
> standards or certification boards for activities like this yet.
>
> Still, I think it would be fantastic if we could recognise people who,
> every day, go out there and integrate Ubuntu into the rest of the world.
>
> If we don't want to spend a lot of time implementing standards, review
> procedures and more (which would be quite understandable to me), I could
> imagine something like this working:
>
> - One member of the group which is looking to be recognised
>    applies for Ubuntu membership for the team's efforts and points
>    this out as part of the application.
> - Some of these groups might be less involved with other Ubuntu
>    members, which might things a bit more difficult in terms of
>    endorsements.
> - We design a nice logo for "member of the Ubuntu community" (or
>    something like that), so they can put this onto their website
>    and maybe we could even link all these organisations on a page
>    somewhere?
> - Mark's Ubuntu membership certification would probably need slight
>    changing as well. :-)
>
> All in all, I got the feeling that a lot of the activities that could
> fall into this new category would be sort of like advocacy, but maybe
> less tied to LoCo activities.
>
> If we can recognise organisation (who care about this) and give them a
> confidence boost, learn more about what people are doing with Ubuntu and
> invite them to work closer with the rest of Ubuntu community, I think
> that'd be absolutely worthwhile.
>
> What do you think?
>
> Have a great day,
> Daniel
>
> --
> Get involved in Ubuntu development! http://packaging.ubuntu.com
> Follow @ubuntudev on twitter.com/facebook.com/G+

Hi Daniel, great idea there! I work with not-for-profits a lot here in Australia in my work, and I think this would be a very positive step.

Last year I was working as General  Manager for a small theatre company, and I would have loved to be able to point our board to an Ubuntu certified provider for our organisations technical needs.