Rethinking the Ubuntu Community in Terms of LaunchPad

Elizabeth K. Joseph lyz at ubuntu.com
Thu Dec 18 21:53:39 UTC 2014

On Thu, Dec 18, 2014 at 1:11 PM, Michael Hall <mhall119 at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> It's not just up to Canonical engineers, if community developers can add
> the requested features (and test cases, documentation, other
> requirements) then it can happen.

At the last physical UDS when feature ideas were proposed, we were
told that Launchpad is "in maintenance mode, no features are being
accepted." Nothing has been heard from the team since.

Upon perusal this morning, out of the the 4800+ bugs that exist for
Launchpad[0], there are 14 bugs with patches attached[1], the oldest
is 8 years old, the youngest is 2 years old. I know of at least one
major project that has switched off using them because they couldn't
get traction for getting any changes into the Launchpad blueprints
system. Hence my skepticism.

At best, I think this would be a waste of energy, particularly as we
have so many ideas floating out there[2] already, several that we can
do something about, and no one has signed up to help with[3].

[0] https://bugs.launchpad.net/launchpad
[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/launchpad/+patches
[2] http://pad.ubuntu.com/LeadershipAndGovernanceDiscussion
[3] http://pad.ubuntu.com/LeadershipActions