Rethinking the Ubuntu Community in Terms of LaunchPad

Michael Hall mhall119 at ubuntu.com
Thu Dec 18 21:11:50 UTC 2014

On 12/18/2014 04:01 PM, Elizabeth K. Joseph wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 18, 2014 at 9:34 AM, Svetlana Belkin <belkinsa at ubuntu.com> wrote:
>> All,
>>
>> I wrote a blog post about how LaunchPad could be fixed and I was wondering
>> if that will help the Community to grow:
>> http://ubuntusense.com/2014/12/18/rethinking-the-ubuntu-community-in-terms-of-launchpad/
>
> Since it's a blog post, I can't respond inline (still not liking this
> trend, makes discussions hard), so instead I'll give some general
> thoughts again: Changing blueprints is a nice idea since it is open
> source. Unfortunately Launchpad has pretty much been in maintenance
> mode for several years and the engineers haven't really been accepting
> new features in that time.

It's not just up to Canonical engineers, if community developers can add
the requested features (and test cases, documentation, other
requirements) then it can happen.

Unfortunately Launchpad isn't a simple project to get started working
on. As far as I know cjohnston and nigelb are the only community
contributors it's had.

> So I don't have confidence that we'll see any changes to blueprints
> system, certainly not any time in the near future. Teams either have
> to figure out a way to make them work for them as is (many do) or use
> another system, as some teams have done with the Trello service (even
> though it is sadly closed source).

Michael Hall
mhall119 at ubuntu.com