Gamerification in the Community

Svetlana Belkin belkinsa at ubuntu.com
Mon Dec 8 22:30:07 UTC 2014

All,

In the other thread (the one about the connection), the karma and Open
Badges was brought up.  These are forms of gamerification and, if we
improve on what we have, we can motivate more people to get involved and
contribute to the project and the OS.

We already have the karma system in LaunchPad(LP) which is great for
developers and programmers.  But is also for questions and answers and
bug tracking.  I don't think that needs to change but...

What needs to change is for those who don't directly deal with what the
karma system is used for.  Well, maybe even for the ones who do things
on LP.  As Ben said is Open Badges.  I see these badges has a way to
show of where the contributer has been in, event-wise, and also, for
what they have done within the Community.

And as Charles said:

On 12/08/2014 05:26 PM, cprofitt wrote:> We have that with:

 > - askubuntu.com - badges and reputation
 > - launchpad	- karma
 > - forums	- cups of coffee
 >
 > What has been lacking is a 'common' metric for all areas.

That's also the problem.

Also wxl told me this on IRC:

"[17:13] 21<wxl>21 [17:58:35] belkinsa: i see two problems. one
is how to keep your major contributors. two is how to get contributors
you don't already have. they're totally different issues.
[17:13] 21<wxl>21 [17:58:53] belkinsa: i think gamification
and/or some sort of meaningful rewards are what will motivate the latter.
[17:13] 21<wxl>21 [17:59:09] belkinsa: i think the former are
more concerned about the levity they have to steer the project"

We should discuss this also.

[1]http://openbadges.org/

Thank you.
--