[ubuntu-cloud] rebundling issues (ec2-bundle-vol/euca-bundle-vol) on both 10.04 and 10.10

Scott Moser smoser at ubuntu.com
Fri Jan 14 17:37:09 UTC 2011

Hi,
   The official 10.10 images, and the newest round of 10.04 images [1],
use 'LABEL=uec-rootfs' in /etc/fstab.  This change was done when moving
towards supporting the pv-grub kernels.
   The images themselves do not have any problems.  However, images
rebundled from them using either 'euca-bundle-vol' or 'ec2-bundle-vol'
will not have a label on their filesystem.  As a result, mountall will sit
indefinitely waiting for a filesystem that has 'LABEL=uec-rootfs' to
appear, and the instance will not boot.
   I've made changes to both euca-bundle-vol and ec2-bundle-vol under bugs
[2] and [3] to copy filesystem label and uuid when rebundling.  This fixes
the problem.  I'd like to get this fix back to 10.04 and 10.10.

   If you've had problems with rebundling on either UEC or EC2, please add
the ppa at https://launchpad.net/~smoser/+archive/bundle-fix-sru-test and
then test.  This can be done by running:
   sudo add-apt-repository ppa:smoser/bundle-fix-sru-test
   sudo apt-get update
   sudo apt-get upgrade

   If you have success or failure with the resultant images, please
comment in bug 667793 [2].

   Scott

--
[1] https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-cloud/2010-December/000466.html