[ubuntu-cloud] deboostrapped lucid image from maverick fails on ec2 (with and without AKI/custom kernel)

Spike Spiegel fsmlab at gmail.com
Sun Nov 21 11:51:18 GMT 2010

Hey there,

On Sat, Nov 20, 2010 at 1:10 AM, Scott Moser <smoser at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Well, see https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UEC/Images/Publishing everything is
> there, if not, ask.  We build these in fully revision controlled system
> daily.

I started by taking a look at already built images at
http://uec-images.ubuntu.com/server/$release/current/ and have the
following questions:
* the lucid i386 tar comes with -virtual kernel installed and in the
tar there's also a -virtual vmlinuz. my understanding was that lucid's
kernel did not use the pv-ops enabled kernel but installed the -ec2
one and if I wanted to use pv_grub I had to use your repo. what am I
missing?
* if it's not using pv_grub and therefore its own kernel, why having
installed kernels in the first place? especially two of them, -ec2 and
-virtual. should I be able to purge both and still have a functional
AMI? I'm trying to build the smallest possible image so reclaiming
that space would greatly help.
* do I need to upload/register that kernel? Isn't there a standard AKI
that I can use for all lucid images? likewise, isn't there a pv-grub
kernel I can use without having to register a new one for each new
ami?
* build-ec2-image (should I be using it?) has a part scheme with 1GB
swap, but I don't see that in the lucid fstab, is that normal?
* lucid-server-uec-i386.tar.gz doesn't seem to come with a floppy.img,
is there a reason for it? should/can I rebuild it myself easily if I
wanted to boot it under kvm?

that's all. in the meantime I'm gonna try to get one of those images,
strip it out of stuff and then rebundle it and see what happens if I
pick an amazon AKI.

thanks,

Spike

--
"Behind every great man there's a great backpack" - B.