[ubuntu-cloud] VT Extensions needed?

Jeremy Fluhmann fluhmann at gmail.com
Fri May 21 04:28:44 BST 2010

On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 4:22 PM, Kapil Thangavelu <
kapil.thangavelu at canonical.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 26 Apr 2010 12:53:19 -0000, Alex McLintock
> <alex.mclintock at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I see that there is a minimum spec for UEC which I can read at
> >
> > https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEC/SystemRequirements
> >
> > I'm throwing together a play UEC system with machines I have lying
> > around the house. Two are fairly old Xeon based machines - dual cpu, 2
> > cores per CPU. The aim is that this could run 8 small virtual machines
> > - one per core. I also have several single core 1Gb machines which
> > could run single VMs. I believe this is possible with KVM though I am
> > no expert. However the system requirements says that for the node
> > controllers VT extensions *are* needed.
> >
> > Is this true. Should I abandon all hope of installing UEC on anything
> > without VT extensions?
> >
> > I also note that it doesn't say this for the cluster controller.
> > Presumably the cluster controller doesn't need VT extensions because
> > it doesn't run any VMs... By default it is NOT a node controller.
> > right?
> >

> the cloud controller doesn't need vt extensions. i've successfully run the
> cc and web stack in a vm before. it needs plenty of ram though.
>
> the node controllers do need vt just as a prerequisite to running kvm
> afaik.

Alex, you might consider installing Eucalyptus on your own and using Xen.
The install and setup may be a little more involved, but it would alleviate
the need for VT.  Good luck!

Cheers,
Jeremy

(wow, just noticed how far behind I am on the conversation -- discussion
started on April 26)

--

Jeremy Fluhmann
*Technology Director*