[Ubuntu-Classroom] Plans for UOW,UDW,UADW, and User Days

Elizabeth K. Joseph lyz at ubuntu.com
Sun Jun 15 11:46:34 UTC 2014

On Fri, Jun 13, 2014 at 8:26 AM, Svetlana Belkin
<belkinsa at ubuntusense.com> wrote:
> In the recent Ubuntu Online Summit (UOS) Community Roundtable [1,2,3],
> we discussed for plans to use UOS to replace (at least) UOW.  My first
> question is what are your plans for these events that you normally host?
>  And my second one is, if you plan to bundle up these events with the
> UOS, are you willing to to have them ran in Hangouts on Air?

I've been resisting moving them to On Air because it means I can't
participate. Running IRC-based sessions works well with my schedule
(video doesn't, can't multitask) and I find them much more valuable
since I can skim text-based logs in a few minutes and search for what
I'm looking for (hard to skim video, impossible to search). I also
worry that doing a full presentation on a video will take a lot more
prep time than doing an IRC-based session and our pool of available
contributors to this is also smaller since it restricts it only to
folks who have really good bandwidth, so even planning these will be
more difficult. It's much easier for UOS or Q&A to do videos since
it's more of a conversation, not so much a presentation.

That said, as my schedule increases to get busier this year, I'm not
sure I'll have a lot of time to work on Classroom anyway, so if
someone else wants to work on this and move in the direction of
video-only events, I won't stand in the way.

http://www.princessleia.com