[Ubuntu-Classroom] Promoting Lernid PPA

Jono Bacon jono at ubuntu.com
Thu Jul 21 15:24:19 UTC 2011

On 07/21/2011 08:12 AM, John S Gruber wrote:
> Just an update to let you all know that I have made a small update to
> the test lernid in ppa:jsjgruber/lernid-proposed . We have experienced
> problems with nickname comparisons that meant that web pages and slide
> changes were not followed for al instructors. The new proposed version
> follows all links and slide changes as long as the classroom channel
> is moderated. Nicknames are only consulted if the session is
> unmoderated.
>
> As a reminder, I'll be running this today and tomorrow, and then
> update the lernid ppa with the new version this weekend so those
> couple hundred people running lernid from the ppa will be using it if
> they participate in cloud week starting Monday.
Sounds great! Thanks, John!
> If you would like to run the new test version, please add the
> ppa:jsjgruber/lernid-proposed, to your sources (if you haven't
> already), and then use synaptic Reload, and Package->Force Version to
> install it. (When installed for next week it will simply be a new
> release and everyone subscribed to the lernid ppa will automatically
> get it and keep it.)

I just tried to install from the PPA and it doesn't install the new
version. Looking at the version this is because the version number in
the PPA is technically quite different and percieved by dpkg as being lower.

To install the new version, I needed to download the PPA deb manually,
uninstall my stable LErnid, and then install the deb via the software
center.

I recommend you change the versioning and this problem should go away. I
am good to go on Oneiric now though. :-)

Thanks, John!

     Jono

--
Jono Bacon