[Ubuntu-Classroom] Promoting Lernid PPA

John S Gruber johnsgruber at gmail.com
Sat Jul 16 01:51:09 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jul 15, 2011 at 7:02 PM, Jono Bacon <jono at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> I am running Oneiric and happy to test. If you can provide a PPA with an
> Oneiric build and let me know what needs testing, I will let you know how I
> get on.

Please do. The PPA is at
https://launchpad.net/~jsjgruber/+archive/lernid-proposed -- in other
words
ppa:jsjgruber/lernid-proposed . The version begins 0+227+20070710...
As the page just above says
you'll have you use synaptic force version to put it in and
update-manager will want to remove it as old, which is fine for when
you are done.

It will help to know that it comes up and connects to the classroom.
You can use the --classroom ubuntu --chatroom ubuntu --unsafe-override
   options if you like to get it to run against #ubuntu and watch it
load lot's of web pages as a stress test.

Next week you might particularly be interested in how it switches to
the Session tab at start-up, how it reminds our students to keep the
Session tab open during classes, and what it does if they don't and
the instructor changes a slide or messages a URL. Those are all
behaviours changed for the bug you filed in early June. You'll also
see some other visual changes you may or may not like. The production
upstream lernid in ppa:lernid-devs/lernid-releases is identical except
for the two fixes for Lucid and Xubuntu, if you want to try that for
awhile. (It has a standard version number and will stay put). I'd love
it if you could try the one in my lernid-proposed PPA first, however.

Thanks for the offer. If you do have trouble with hangs on Oneiric try
disabling either the global menu or the Lernid indicator in the
preferences (sudo lernid might work, too--yuck). When I tried last a
couple of weeks ago the simplest program using both would hang--so I
don't think its Lernid's fault).

Thanks.

John

ps. The versions for Lucid, Maverick, and Natty are all published in
the proposed PPA, now, as well.