[Ubuntu-Classroom] Promoting Lernid PPA

Elizabeth Krumbach lyz at ubuntu.com
Thu Jul 14 04:15:33 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 8:55 PM, Randall Ross <randall at executiv.es> wrote:
> As the resident UCW cheerleader, I'm curious if we got a "ruling" on this :)
>
> I would love the clearance to do a soft promotion of Lernid even if we
> cannot recommend it as the primary tool for UCW.

John and I have been very busily testing Lernid for the past week.

I can't speak for John, but here are the following considerations:

There are still problems with Lucid and Maverick (793780 which
essentially locks up my Lucid netbook for a couple minutes and causes
806804 to be much worse) and Xubuntu Natty (808982) and I believe
there are still some problems related to python changes in Oneiric.

In Ubuntu Natty it's looking pretty good, but they will not be able to
just apt-get install lernid from the standard repository because this
will get them the old, broken version. Users will have to install
ppa:lernid-devs/lernid-releases

John - do you have the download statistics for Lernid that you shared
with us the other day? While there were more people downloading on
Natty, there is still a solid chunk of users on Lucid and some on
Maverick.

John has been doing really amazing work and this latest release of
Lernid is a HUGE improvement but I don't think we're there yet for
people who aren't willing to install a development ppa and deal with
stray bugs.

--
Elizabeth Krumbach // Lyz // pleia2
http://www.princessleia.com