[Ubuntu-Classroom] Proposed New Lernid Release

Elizabeth Krumbach lyz at ubuntu.com
Fri Jul 8 16:45:36 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 6:10 AM, John S Gruber <johnsgruber at gmail.com> wrote:
> There's a problem with the way the main window is resized by gtk and
> the panes are set and it would cause the chatroom pane to almost
> disappear. It happened to me most on my old lucid machine, which is
> why I was reluctant to release lucid the last time. I've put in a hack
> to get around this problem and it seems to work ok on all the
> operating systems I tried and with both of my machines. I think the
> problem was the speed of the computer, not Lucid.

When I ran 0.8.1.4 on my Lucid netbook last night it was taking up all
of my CPU and still wasn't drawing the screen very fast. How fast is
your test lucid machine? Maybe we need some minimum system specs? I'll
load up natty on a USB stick tonight on my netbook to see if this is a
Lucid or a slow computer bug and file a bug accordingly.

> I have an additional question for Leandro--I couldn't find a separate
> calendar for ubuntu-classroom-es so when I created an entry for that
> classroom for the failsafe configuration I used the ubuntu-classroom
> calendar with an irc connection to the -es classroom and chatroom.
> Should that change to a separate calendar? The information will
> migrate to the new /etc tree lernid configuration files so it will
> remain relevant. Should there be a separate selection for -es shadows
> of english classroom sessions and another for sessions originating in
> spanish?

There is a separate Spanish calendar here:
http://www.google.com/calendar/ical/mv78vlclr3p70g4sc3o00s2jm0%40group.calendar.google.com/public/basic.ics

(let me know if you have trouble with that URL)

> There is an additional concern for Nathan. Lernid is now translating
> the "Question:" string sent over IRC for fetching by classbot. I did
> this because I think I overheard you say on irc that classbot
> understands the phrase in different languages? Is there a danger here
> in case Lernid is translated into a language classbot doesn't yet
> understand? Alternatively, should it instead always send "Question:"
> in english? Will it cause confusion when those using Lernid from
> various locales send in questions with that tag in multiple languages?

ClassBot supports multiple languages, so when set for ES, for example,
"QUESTION:" is "PREGUNTA:" so we should probably pull someone in who
is more familiar with how translations are handled, I'm not sure.

--
Elizabeth Krumbach // Lyz // pleia2
http://www.princessleia.com