[Ubuntu-Classroom] LoCo teams using #ubuntu-classroom

Nathan Handler nhandler at ubuntu.com
Tue Jun 29 23:48:35 BST 2010

On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 2:05 PM, Jorge O. Castro <jorge at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> At UDS we identified that some LoCo teams might not be aware of some
> of the learning resources available from the Learning team. The most
> obvious is the #ubuntu-classroom channel, which has instructions here:
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Classroom
>
> As you can see we don't have a problem scheduling classes in the
> channel and having Ubuntu User Days, however after the success of Open
> Week in Spanish[1] I am wondering if perhaps we should encourage Local
> Teams to also run content in -classroom in their own native language.
> We do know that some teams are running their own classroom channels
> (like #ubuntu-charlas). I'm not proposing getting rid of those, but
> perhaps on occasion running a session in #classroom to encourage other
> teams that it's a good idea and to get the content out there and more
> visible.

I agree that we should do a better job of promoting classroom sessions
by LoCo teams (especially in other languages). A search with alis
turns up several other LoCo classroom channels. It would probably be
useful to have a list of these channels (along with information on
scheduling a class in one of the channels) on the main Classroom wiki
page. It might also be interesting to have a day where we try and get
as many different LoCos as possible to give a session in
#ubuntu-classroom in as many different languages as possible. This
would allow the rest of the community to see that LoCos are organizing
sessions and that they can be done in any language. It would also move
the task of organizing the day from the individual LoCo teams to the
Classroom Management team, allowing the LoCos to focus on preparing a
session to present.

> Does anyone have any insight on a LoCo that would be interested in
> trying out some local content on #ubuntu-classroom? It doesn't have to
> be a
> full day or a week or something, but it would be cool if we had events
> running in classroom from all over the world. Thoughts?
>
> [1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuOpenWeek_ES
>
> PS - The classroom admins hang out in #ubuntu-classroom-backstage and
> loco team members are welcome to join if you want to ask about what it
> takes to run a class.

We also have the ubuntu-classroom mailing list [1] that you can use to
contact us.