[Ubuntu-ch] Ubuntu bad for Scribus?

Myriam Schweingruber schweingruber at pharma-traduction.ch
Sun Feb 28 12:08:41 GMT 2010

Hi Theo,

On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 14:10, Theo Schmidt <theo.schmidt at wilhelmtux.ch> wrote:
> Myriam Schweingruber schrieb:
>> Version 8.04 is NOT an LTS version for the KDE packages, only for the
>> underlying base system.
>
> I don't think that's an issue in this case, because Scribus is not a KDE
> package. However it does depend on QT, so perhaps you're right.

Well, as an application depending on Qt this makes it a "KDE"-like
application. And to answer Simon's proposition to use Ubuntu instead
of Kubuntu: I think you got that completely wrong, the Qt packages and
Scribus packages are the same, since Ubuntu and Kubuntu are in the
same repositories.

> In our office each and any change of anything generates problems. We planned on
> getting new hardware this summer and making the switch to this, to Lucid and
> KDE4 all at once. Maybe this is wrong and we should get people used to KDE4
> first. However at the moment lots of things are working perfectly with KDE3.5,
> so I'm putting off problems related to this as long as possible.

Well, I don't think this is necessary, there are not more changes
between KDE 3.5x and KDE 4.3.x than there are between Windows Vista
and Windows 7, and people are used to switch those OS since years.

> However, I didn't want to start a KDE-disscussion, but rather ask if there is
> conceivably any truth in the scribus-developers claim that Ubuntu was the most
> unsatisfactory of the large distribution to run Scribus with, because of large
> changes within QT by Canonical, and if it would be preferable to use Debian
> QT-packages rather than Ubuntu QT-packages.

I don't know where you heard or read that, but it is complete and
utter rubbish. Could you please provide some source on that? Kubuntu
doesn't modify Qt. On the contrary, it is most likely the distribution
that uses the most vanilla KDE 4 and Qt. As an example: try to get
OpenSuSE's KDE to work correctly with the latest Qt 4.6.2... judging
from the amount of bug reports we get lately it is much, much worse
than Kubuntu, and OpenSuSE patches a lot :(

If Scribus indeed had problems with the Qt packages as provided by
Kubuntu they should eventually go through their code and check what
they did wrong, since KDE works perfectly fine with Qt :) And you
can't blame Nokia ( aka the former Trolltech) for a lack of
documentation: http://qt.nokia.com/developer :)

Also, I just checked here, using Kubuntu 9.10 with KDE SC 4.4, Qt
4.6.1 and Scribus-ng 1.3.5.dfsg~svn20090208-2ubuntu2  and everything
works fine, no crashes so far. Are you sure you have all the
dependencies installed correctly?

Regards, Myriam
http://www.fsfe.org