[Ubuntu-ch] Ubuntu bad for Scribus?

Myriam Schweingruber myriam at ubuntu.com
Fri Feb 26 17:23:02 GMT 2010

Hi all,

On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 10:44, Theo Schmidt <theo.schmidt at wilhelmtux.ch> wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> In our office we started to use Scribus in Kubuntu 8.04 LTS. Constant crashes
> with version 1.3.4, which was recommended to us. Unfortunately the users have
> become accustomed to the features of 1.3.4, which are roughly those in 1.3.5 and
> 1.3.6, so going back to the stable version 1.3.3 is not a willing option.
> However 1.3.5 and 6 require QT4, which doesn't seem availble for Kubuntu 8.04.
>
> Unfortunately the users need to work right now and not wait for Kubuntu 10.04
> LTS. I can bridge this gap until April/May with a separate PC just for Scribus,
> but the question arises what to do afterwards and indeed whether to continue to
> use Kubuntu. A Scribus developer (partially quoted below in German) claims that
> Ubuntu is the worst distribution for Scribus because Canonical manipulates the
> QT libraries.
>
> As Scribus is a must-have for our office this question is rather important to
> us. Does anybody here know if this cristicism will still have any basis in
> Ubuntu 10.04 LTS? Or is it possible to use "original" QT libraries instead of
> those from Canonical, presumably from Debian?
>
> Best regards,
> Theo
>
> PS Although this is a kind of support question, I'm bringing it here because of
> the implications against Ubuntu's version of QT.
>
> Quote:
> "Was die von Ihrer Grafikerin verwendete Version 1.3.4 angeht, muß ich jedoch
> warnen: Sie ist nicht nur "etwas" instabil, sondern geradzu katastrophal
> instabil, und sie ist auch niemals als stabil deklariert worden.
> "Empfehlenswert ist also entweder wirklich die stabile Version 1.3.3.14 oder
> eben 1.3.6, das in den nächsten Tagen oder Wochen veröffentlicht werden wird.
> Qt3 und Qt4 lassen sich problemlos nebeneinander verwenden, wobei man
> allerdings sagen muß, daß Ubuntu für Scribus die denkbar ungeeignetste
> Plattform ist (selbst Windows oder gar das alte OS/2 sind hier besser!), weil
> Canonical die Bibliotheken derart manipuliert, daß zumindest reine
> Qt-Anwendungen haufenweise unerklärliche Fehler aufweisen, die nicht den
> Anwendungsprogrammierern, sondern der Ubuntu-Version von Qt (3 und 4)
> anzulasten sind."

Just a quick note and a reminder for all those using Kubuntu:

Version 8.04 is NOT an LTS version for the KDE packages, only for the
underlying base system. This has been said repeatedly on the Kubuntu
website, mailing list, release notes and on this list. I strongly
advice all KDE users who are still using this version to consider an
upgrade to Karmic, since it is absolutely pointless to keep 8.04 for
KDE users, it never was an LTS for KDE.

I feel like a broken record, since I have told this to people over and
over and over again. Does nobody ever read release notes and
announcements on http://kubuntu.org? Apparently not...

I don't have time to search all the proofs, but it is in all possible
archives, so those who missed that announcements should maybe start
reading stuff before assuming things... sorry if this is a bit blunt,
but it is more than 2 years ago this statement was made by Kubuntu, I
would have hoped it did sink in in the mean time...

I strongly advise to update to Karmic which ships with KDE 4.3.2, then
activate the karmic-backports repository (NOT the PPA, mind you...) to
be upgraded to KDE 4.3.5 which comes with a lot of bugfixes. KDE 3.5.x
is not maintained anymore

Regards, Myriam.
http://www.fsfe.org