[Ubuntu-ch] Problems with USB-Sticks and Swiss Remix

Wolf Geldmacher wolf at womaro.ch
Mon Oct 19 13:36:58 BST 2009

Hi Theo,

I'd like to second Dani's suggestion to do a plain install instead.

I've just done a plain install of Swiss-Remix 9.04 treating the (8GB) USB
Stick like a hard drive attached to USB. This works and results in a system
that is faster and also updatabe/patchable with a lot less waste of space:
the r/w live-system I previously had on the same stick (and for me the
supplied USB install on the Swiss-Remix DVD "just worked") could not be
brought to the current patch level - it ran out of space way before
finishing.

One additional remark - when doing it this way make sure that the root FS
is mounted with the "relatime" or "noatime" option in /etc/fstab - otherwise
you might find that you are wearing the memory stick too fast.

Cheers,
Wolf