[Ubuntu-ch] Would like to become involved in Swiss Ubuntu Group

Didier Raboud didier at raboud.com
Jeu 25 Jan 10:43:08 GMT 2007

Hi,

I'm a member of the Swisslinux.org association too (forum admin for the
moment...)

Le jeudi 25 janvier 2007 11:15, Tormod Volden a écrit :
> Dear Arnaud/SwissTeam,
> I had a look at the Swisslinux web site. A lot of great stuff!
> Unfortunately only in French. I missed a link to a mailing list. Do
> you have an open mailing list?
>
> I also noticed you had only 15 members in 2006. If you want more
> members and activities I have some suggestions:
>
> 1. Make it more open (mailing list etc). Open the wiki so people can
> just register and start translating if and when they want. It's in the
> free software and open-source spirit to be totally transparent and
> accessible.

Well... The problem is not the philosophical part, it's the technical one. I
we could have a mailing list and a translatable website with a fingersnap, it
would be fine !

OK, the mailing-list is maybe not that hard, but it should be observed that we
ever have : wiki, forum, IRC, Jabber, it's pretty enough for getting help.

But I will add a note on the wiki thereabout to ensure this will be discussed
during the meeting.

> 2. The membership fee is a threshold that puts people off, even if
> it's an symbolical sum. Are you obliged (as a legal association) to
> demand a fee?

Well... It depends on our "statuts", but per definition, to have the right to
vote, one should be a member, and you can be a member only if you pay the
subscription fee, "normally". But this is meant for the official part.

But you have to note that the subscription fee is _absolutely_ not necessary
for participation in every sector of SL.org. You just have to subscribe to
the forum to be "participating member". But if you _want_ to join the "paying
members" (those who have the right to vote in IRL assemblies), you can, by
paying the subscription fee.

This is what makes us different from the GULL. Everyone can participate, help,
write tutorials and so on the wiki, just by e-inscription on the forum. But
to be part of the decision process IRL, you have to be member of the
association, by paying the subscription fee.

> Is it otherwise necessary? I read that the main reason
> is the domain hosting. How much is that? (I only saw 45 CHF for last
> year). I think you can find sponsors that will do or finance this for
> you. I am willing to donate myself, if you drop that member fee. Lots
> of people like free beer, and many are willing to give free beer as
> well :)

As explained above... And if you have too much beer, I'm willing to help !

> 3. Is the general assembly tomorrow open for non-members?

I can't speak for the comitee, but as I see it, it's probably public (in the
meaning : you can listen and speak, but no right to vote if you are no
member)

> Are there means to participate remotely (video conference/streaming, IRC)?
> If yes and yes, I would like to join and present my ideas. Otherwise I hope
> you can mention this in the meeting.

For the last meeting, they had planned a video-conference/IRC for me, I was in
Madrid, but it had been planed a little lately and did not work. Again, I
can't speak for the comitee, but we will certainly have IRC.

In every case, you're welcome on the forum/IRC/Jabber/Wiki !

> Good luck and all the best,
> Tormod Volden

Didier Raboud, aka OdyX

> PS. will there be a SwissLinux stand at OpenExpo?

Hasn't been spoken yet...

--
5174 DF20 B82E 613D C14A A92B C16D 679C E9A2 78F0