Free software replacement for Skype

Piero Fornoni pierofor at outlook.com
Tue Mar 4 14:59:58 UTC 2014

Hi ,

To close the Skype discussion , please  go to http://www.fsf.org/campaigns/priority-projects/priority-projects  .

Conclusion : the replacement of Skype with a free software is one of the high priority projects of fsf.org , but if you need a Voice-over-IP for family or business reasons today ,there are not many alternative to Skype .

I am not going to speak about Skype anymore till we have a free software replacement.

Ciao

Piero

from http://www.fsf.org/campaigns/priority-projects/priority-projects

Free software replacement for Skype

        Skype is a proprietary Voice-over-IP
program that uses a proprietary protocol. Skype is seducing free
software users into using proprietary software, often two users at a
time. Using proprietary phone software means that we can't be sure who
is listening in, because we can't see the code.

The Chinese government, for example, was found to have been spying on
 Skype conversations already, and they are probably not the only ones.
We do not want to encourage the creation of a Skype compatible client,
but instead, we want to encourage you to create, contribute to, or
promote the use of free software replacements for Skype, such as Ekiga,
and to encourage adoption and use of free VoIP, video, and chat
protocols such as SIP and XMPP/Jingle.

Ways to help. Developers are needed to work on the projects developing a free software replacement for Skype. There are a number of such programs, such as Ekiga, Twinkle, Coccinella, QuteCom, and Jitsi. Unfortunately, these programs only replace some of Skype's functionality, and only in some situations. WebRTC
 has a mission to enable rich, high quality, Real-Time Communications
(RTC) applications to be developed in the browser via simple Javascript
APIs and HTML5. Developers should consider helping free software VoIP
and video, chat, and multimedia communications projects.

Not a developer? There's still a lot you can do. Using
 one of the free software Skype replacements listed above is a great
start. You can also help by contributing to the documentation and
tutorials for such projects, as well as filing feature and bug requests.

Everyone can track progress and stay up to date with replacements for Skype on the LibrePlanet wiki.