Microsoft and interoperability with Linux

Stephen M. Webb stephen.webb at canonical.com
Sun Mar 2 15:54:31 UTC 2014

On 03/02/2014 09:43 AM, LP wrote:
> I am not as experienced at Linux as most of you here, maybe all, I am the perpetual Noob since Ubuntu 7.04 I do not
> do Politics, I don't know how, I do the Truth & I try to be Polite. George Carlin, "They are only words, it is all
> in the context."
>
> "Oh, and by the way, "MS" also stands for Mark Shuttleworth, founder of Ubuntu.  Typing 'M$' instead of Microsoft
> is nothing but a cheap and cliché shot" (I don't see the difference ? and no i am not being a wise guy they are the
> same) Freedom of speech.

I do not believe anyone's freedom of speech is being encroached here in any way.  Please feel free to enlighten me.
Unfortunately, I can not parse the parenthetical sentence above so I can not address it.

> Sometimes I just don't understand what all the commotion is about.

Linux enthusiasts have a tendency to be dismissed as rabid fanatics who have nothing of value to say.  This image is
constantly reinforced by the juvenile and disrespectful use of derogatory terms in many of the social media
contributions made by enthusiasts.  It does not bring anything positive to one's writings to demonstrate puerile or
sophomoric forms of disrespect for anyone or anything.  What it does do is bring the image of Linux into disrepute,
and that is something we, as a LoCo, should be trying to remedy.

The use of terms such as "Micro$oft", "MicroSloth", "Windoze", and so forth are not original and do not make one look
clever.  Quite the opposite. I remember seeing "Micro$oft" used in the late 1980s.  The unfortunate consequence of the
widespread use of such cliché insult terms is disrespect for Linux by the wider community.  That affects me, personally.

I would encourage anyone involved in Linux to take the high road.  Respect others and earn respect in return.

To quote from the Ubuntu Code of Conduct:

Be respectful

Disagreement is no excuse for poor manners. We work together to resolve conflict, assume good intentions and do our
best to act in an empathic fashion. We don't allow frustration to turn into a personal attack. A community where
people feel uncomfortable or threatened is not a productive one.

--
Stephen M. Webb  <stephen at ubuntu.com>
https://launchpad.net/~bregma