Of lipstick, pigs, and tech support jobs

Geekus Villagius thevillagegeek at gmail.com
Mon Jan 21 21:11:56 UTC 2013

Recent job ad: Jan, 19, Geek Squad Agent (Counter Intelligence Agent),
BBYC Ltd. , ON-Hamilton/Burlington-L8J0B4

Does it include a secret decoder ring as a perk? Contact with sexy
spies? Tours of Q's lab?

If by counter intelligence they mean counter to intelligent use of
technology by a self-reliant user, that might be somewhat accurate.
Otherwise, they need to do a much more subtle makeup job to disguise
that 'boar' of a job. OTOH, it does seem carefully targeted to appeal
to the typical mass market tech help demographic: more style than
substance, young enough to buy into hype, etc.

Sometimes I walk through the software section of a big box retailer
just to remind myself how much I save in both money and hassle by not
being reliant on Windows.