Upgrade confusion

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Sun Dec 15 21:33:40 UTC 2013

If the partitions from the previous install are still accessible from a
bootable USB stick, then there's a good chance that only the boot loader
(GRUB) on the hard drive needs to be re-installed.

It's best to use the same version of Ubuntu on the USB stick that you
have installed on the hard drive.

This is all done from a commandline terminal.

0. If you're not logged in as root you can do it with:
     sudo -i

1. Mount the Ubuntu partition (if it isn't mounted already)
     mount /dev/sda1 /target
   Your Ubuntu partition may not be on sda1; be sure to use the correct
   block device name

2. Switch the root context to the Ubuntu partition
     chroot /target

3. Install grub to the drive (note: sda not sda1)
     grub-install /dev/sda

4. For good measure, ensure that grub is up-to-date
     update-grub

If you have a different version of Ubuntu you'll have to mount or
softlink system folders like /bin and /sbin -- let us know if that's a
problem.

--Bob.

--

Bob Jonkman <bjonkman at sobac.com>          Phone: +1-519-669-0388