Re-imagining

Randall Ross randall at executiv.es
Thu Apr 11 13:54:15 UTC 2013

Mark Paskal wrote:
> Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2013 19:19:24 -0600
> From: Mark Paskal <markpaskal at gmail.com>
> To: The Canadian Ubuntu Users Community <ubuntu-ca at lists.ubuntu.com>
> Subject: Re: Re-imagining
>

> I really feel that the national loco is important as the only obvious place
> (that I know of, please someone correct me if I'm wrong.) for Canadian
> users to get support.
That's a misconception. Mailing lists are a terrible support channel and
we'd be better served if there were a "no support questions here" rule.
IRC is marginally better, but not by much, and is unusable by novice
Ubuntu people.

http://askubuntu.com is the official place to get support for the Ubuntu
project. The legacy (but still useful) place to get support is
https://answers.launchpad.net

> I think advocating should be left to the city groups if they exist and are
> interested. Here in Calgary the only interaction I have ever had with
> another Ubuntu user was making him wonder 'Why is he staring?' as I
> eyeballed the sticker on his laptop bag in passing. (OMG I'M NOT THE ONLY
> ONE!!) This area has two million people and I've seen the one guy.
Given Ubuntu market share estimates, conservatively there are at least
20,000 people who enjoy Ubuntu in Calgary. That's enough for a *very*
large group.

>     Even if ubuntu-stickered-laptop-guy and I were to start a local group I
> have to question the usefulness of spending time on advocacy given that
> I'll be spending just as much time helping 90% of users I do manage to
> convert reinstall Windows.
If "sticker guy" is passionate enough about Ubuntu to start a group then
he (and you) would have hundreds of other people to help those who want
to enjoy Ubuntu. That means that any support burden would not fall on
just one or two people. In our experience, once people immerse
themselves in Ubuntu they almost never go back. When they have
face-to-face interaction with other people who enjoy Ubuntu, they can
get (and give) help with ease.

I will close with a challenge for all reading this: If you are the
"Sticker guy" or the "Sticker gal" in your city/town, and you want to
see people freed from monopolists (with bank accounts the size of a
national treasury) in your lifetime, start an Ubuntu group where you
live. It's our best chance. The code has been written. We need to get it
to our friends and neighbours... now.

Cheers,
Randall
Ubuntu Vancouver Buzz Generator.