ubuntu-ca.org needs help!

Brett Alton brett.jr.alton at gmail.com
Fri May 7 00:35:31 UTC 2010

On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 8:19 PM, Corey Burger <corey.burger at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 5:05 PM, Mark Ueki Mina <themarker0 at hotmail.com> wrote:
>> (ignore which message is quoted)
>>
>> I did some reading, we can host ourselves, we just need a canadian based
>> VPS. I put an idea forward on the IRC months ago to get corporate sponsors
>> to help pay for one. This was back when there was no talking lol. Though
>> here, i found a cheap Xen based VPS. https://www.sevenl.net/
>>
>> We could get 128mb ram 10gb hdd and 50 bandwidth and webmin for 25 dollars a
>> month. To pay we could either all donate, or better yet, go to a large
>> company, (Tiger direct, Canada Computers) and at the footer add "Server
>> proudly sponsored by XXXXXXXXXXX"

Does it _have_ to be a VPS? I have lots of hosting space, but it's on
a shared server.

I can install as many domains as I'd like, capping at 40GB of space,
1800GB of bandwidth per month, 160MB of RAM and I've already pre-paid
for it.

> Yes, we could host it ourselves, but the challenge with that is that
> then we have to make certain the person who admins it doesn't
> disappear. The advantage of Canonical is that non-active people (ahem,
> myself) can be bypassed easily.
>
> Corey

I know I haven't been terribly active on this list, but I'm a web
developer and would love to help with the site. I helped with Ground
Control (http://ground-control.org) and wouldn't mind helping our
community.

I'm a web developer by professional, so if I'm available for my
clients, I should be just as available for this domain

I can then host and theme a Wordpress install and make multiple users
for moderation.