Canadian Government Computers to be upgraded Go Ubuntu

Russell McOrmond russell at flora.ca
Wed Apr 21 21:56:20 UTC 2010

Chris wrote:
> When I think about it, you are all right.
> The people I have switched from winblows to Ubuntu are always calling me.
> They also called me all the time for windows.
> I think they are just too lazy to learn.
> My intentions were good.

   I'm finding the responses here interesting.  I don't find the "users
are dumb" comment to be all that useful or even accurate given this is
an Ubuntu *users* community mailing list and clearly the list members
here have figured Ubuntu out enough to want to be here.

   The reality is that computing moves forward, and whether an end-user
wants to move forward or not isn't their choice in a corporate
environment.   Change will happen, and a change from Windows 98 to
Windows XP, or from operator-managed desktops to machines managed
centrally as part of a corporate network (domain logins/etc), are
realistically no harder than a change from Windows XP to Ubuntu.
Clearly it is change, but that change is already happening.

   The very things that people complain about not being able to do on
Ubuntu are the types of things that many corporate networks (and
government departments) are attempting to clamp down on anyway.   Users
being able to download random software from the Internet (or bring CDs
from home, etc) and install on their work computers is a bug, not a feature.

   The core issue is managing change -- you don't switch an entire
organisation over instantly if you want the migration to be smooth.  You
have a migration plan that may span multiple years for a large
organisation.  You start with the lowest-hanging fruit, which are people
who already wanted to switch but were denied permission.  Then people
who already have experience with the new technology in some other aspect
of their life, and so-on until the organisation is left with those few
who reject any change no matter what it is.   The existing people who
migrate are then proof that things work well to those who are sceptical
of the change.  You may find more and more people wanting to be early
adopters as existing adopters may become evangelists for the advantages.

   I'm ending a contract at Agriculture Canada at the end of the month.
(2'nd multi-month contract with them in as many years, 14 months total).
  I've been using CentOS5 on my desktop, connecting to a Citrix server
to run Outlook and a few other Windows-only applications necessary for
my job.   While I'm hired as an IT consultant to do system
administration and related work, it is not unusual to already have Linux
on the desktop in various government departments.   Those of us that us
Linux on the desktop (and I am far from the only one) do not get desktop
support from AgriHelp who does the Windows support for the less
technical user base. If the department decided to migrate further it
would beef up AgriHelp to handle both the legacy platform and the new
platform during that migration.

   Even if a user was only using Windows applications there would be
benefits to having them using a Linux desktop.  I fully expect to see
things like Chromium OS with the Citrix client become popular in
corporate environments to massively simplify management of Windows
applications running from the server.

  Please help us tell the Canadian Parliament to protect our property
  rights as owners of Information Technology. Sign the petition!
  http://www.digital-copyright.ca/petition/ict/

   manufacturers, can pry my camcorder, computer, home theatre, or
   portable media player from my cold dead hands!"