XDMCP over VPN

Darryl Moore darryl at moores.ca
Wed Oct 7 14:19:50 UTC 2009

Hi all, this list is being pretty quiet these days so I think I'll liven
it up with a question or two and see if there are any takers.

I've set up OpenVPN using a tun device interface so that the remote
system is on a different subnet. Works well, but of course it is
difficult to give complete access to the entire network, and all
machines on the network need to have to have their routing tables
adjusted to direct packets to vpn client via the vpn server. I've been
able to do that with the DHCP server, but of course some other devices
like some printers and  consumer grade routers do not have the ability
to add routing information. Problem!

The other option for me is to use a tap interface which of course gives
complete network access as it will route ethernet level packets as well
as IP. Another option I thought about was to have another computer on
the network with remote XDMCP logins enabled (and only accepted from VPN
clients). This way I could keep the remote user behind a firewall but
allow them complete access via a local machine which they can log on to
with their regular user name and password.

Does any one have any thoughts on this arrangement? And the big question
is. How the %$$#@% do I get a login window on the client without first
having to logout. Once upon a time there was an option for "new login"
which started another X session. Then I had the option of choosing the
user name as well as selecting an XDMCP session. Not any more.

cheers,
darryl