Glitch in installing 9.04 as a Clean Install

alfred alfred.s at nexicom.net
Mon Jul 6 03:01:47 UTC 2009

        Hi Eric and others:

        Many Ubuntu versions ago, when CD/DVD REPOSITORIES worked with
        out a Glitch in Synaptic, a few things were different than they
        are now.

        Somehow the time interval got much shorter, between reading what
        new Software was available from software sources. I can remember
        that in those early days of Ubuntu it used to be something like
        2 weeks would tick tock by, very slowly until you were required
        to recheck what software was available from Software sources,
        like the Internet, and DVD Repositories. Now in something that
        seems like one micro atto second after the Check is made, it
        wants to do another Check. Making use of the Command sudo
        apt-cdrom add -got all the DVD Repositories read into Synaptic,
        however this was perhaps not such a good thing!:) In bygone
        days, it would remember what all the data from the DVDs was, and
        not ask to update it all again, in an atto second after it was
        read in, because the DVDs don't self destruct anytime soon after
        you use them, the data on them is fixed, it does not change
        after you read them in. So why have Synaptic or ADD/REMOVE
        reread them again and again and again, as though very big
        changes in DVD Repositories happen in very minute spaces of
        time.

        In an atto second a photon stands perfectly still, does not move
        at all! Where as in a Second it moves almost as fast as a crack
        in a piece of glass.

        The utility that reads the new list of software sources does not
        ask for the software on DVDs to be read again, it does all 174
        Repositories in about a second, without putting in a DVD Rom,
        not one of them, and now crashes, with ZERO DATA coming back!
        Towards the end of the reading it crashes, and thus does not
        read the Internet, software updates, if any.  This I think would
        need a bit of BACK TO THE DRAWING BOARD FIXING!

        As Synaptic is so Gung Ho to use the Internet for it's software
        sources, perhaps someone could write a utility to make use of
        the Apt Tools for working with CD/DVD Repositories. It might be
        nice to just be able to read the DVDs once, and then just leave
        it at that. If new DVDs come along, the others can be removed
        from the Software Sources List, line by line, and then the new
        ones can be read in to replace them. With hard Drives the way
        they are, Very big spaces on them, I could just leave all the
        software sources on DVD read into a Directory on the Hard drive,
        and then the DVD's don't need to be re- read! They are there an
        the Hard Drive. The ISO files are about 23 Gigs, not much space
        on a 1/2 T Terrabyte drive that is just about everywhere these
        days.

        With Dial-up it requires that you have good Telephone lines, but
        out here in the Hilly Country, telephone lines swing in the
        wind, which makes for little breaks in them. Closer to cities,
        it gets put into the ground so there is much less motion, but
        much more risk of a spade going through them, and people that do
        such things would rather not have anyone knowing what they did,
        so the Telephone lines get water-logged for a few days after it
        rains. So Phone lines are noisy, where the copper crystallizes
        and then makes noise as Electrons fly through the Crystals, and
        line breaks and Azurite covers them where water got in. That's
        the green stuff that conducts Electricity, to short the lines
        out. With the high hills around here, other forms of High Speed
        Internet do not work. The Rocket Stick or similar might work,
        but the cost of that is something like a Down-payment on buying
        the company in 12 easy payments, by a very rich person. So like
        many people on Earth I have to rely on having a DVD Repository,
        because my Internet which is supposed to be 56K is slower than
        those speeds which modems had, in the early 1970s, most days.

        There does not seem to be some utility which would allow some
        one else with high speed Internet to be able to download
        Repositories, when they have Windows and not Linux. There is not
        a Web address to go too for such endevours! As things stand, the
        Lock File, something for which there is no program to edit it,
        got damaged, and the two whole days of work that I put into
        re-doing 9.04 from the Edbuntu extensions to see what they were
        like, for some teaching person, to a completely new and fresh
        install, might now need to be done again. The Nvidia Driver
        download encounters the lock File problem
        in /var/cache/apt/archives and crashes, the Jockey Program
        crashes, and does not recognize that the driver 173 in already
        installed on my computer. So trying to activate the driver, it
        tries to download it again and again, before allowing you to
        click the activate button. The error message comes up that I'm
        to run nvidia-xconfig, halt x and then it should work. Well
        there is no Nvidia-xconfig -there is /etc/X11/*  and there might
        be something there to config, but I have not yet seen something
        there to do with Nvidia.

        Every last Web Page on Ubuntu that was written for 6.06 has
        broken Links in it. So all that information needs to be re-done.
        It's taking up all kinds of space and bandwidth, and offers no
        information that is useful at all! Pages were there on how to
        use apt-cdrom, but the information was about how to use a USB
        drive, and nothing at all about how to use apt-cdrom. This is
        not 6.06 time this is 9.04 time, documentation is needed for
        9.04.

        I thought I might try to replicate the Lock File
        in /var/cache/apt/archives on another install, and then replace
        the Lock File that got damaged, but if that does not work, I
        might try to use the Installation DVD for 9.04 to Fix the
        system. I'm not sure this will work because I've never done it
        before. Any Ideas or experiences with doing these things, might
        be worth my undivided attention!

        Alfred!