Glitch in installing 9.04 as a Clean Install

alfred alfred.s at nexicom.net
Sun Jul 5 19:13:42 UTC 2009

-----Original Message-----
From: Eric <1ballistic1 at gmail.com>
To: The Canadian Ubuntu Users Community <ubuntu-ca at lists.ubuntu.com>
Subject: Re: Glitch in installing 9.04 as a Clean Install
Date: Sat, 4 Jul 2009 22:45:56 -0300

Tried the "Add/Remove" in Applications already? Either that, or maybe
you didnt "refresh" in synaptic?

On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 10:23 PM, Alfred <alfred.s at nexicom.net> wrote:
        Hi -All:

        I un-checked all Internet Software Sources in Software Sources
        under all
        that Tabs that listed them. I had Add CD Pressed under ADD CD,
        and read
        in successively each DVD from the 8 DVD set. From DVD 2 to DVD 8
        Shows
        up in the Third Party List, after it read the Index Files on
        Each DVD,
        then I made sure there were check marks in front of each CD/DVD
        in that
        list.

        In Synaptic however, the indexes from the read CD/DVD's do not
        show up
        in the list of software available. So I can't very well select
        some
        software on a CD/DVD, and then stick in the DVD that it is on,
        and have
        it loaded from the DVD Repository. I asked thelinuxstore.org,
        for this
        info, the Commands to use, but no reply came.

        Is there a Package Manager that can work with CD/DVD
        Repositories in
        Terminal Mode, because when I reviewed the ISO files of the 8
        DVD's all
        the Software on the Ubuntu 9.04 Repositories is on them, approx
        32 Gigs
        of Software.

        What keywords would be useful for doing a search on Ubuntu to
        find out
        how to make use of such a Package Manager, in Terminal. I know
        APT and
        Aptitude can have CDROM words attached to them, Beginning Ubuntu
        Linux
        Keir Thomas Book, does not have much info on this, or perhaps
        I'm
        reading in the wrong place.

        Any Suggestions would be helpful -

        Tia

        Alfred!

Hi Eric:

I used:

sudo apt-cdrom add, and it read each of the 7 DVD's that I had with
Repositories on them. In Software sources now every disk is listed and
every Repository is listed that are on a Disk.

I went in terminal to man apt-cdrom and found the Command Structure for
Apt-cdrom. At the end of the article, how do you get back to the command
Prompt, so you can look at some other Item?

I looked at using the DVD Repository to install a file I know is on
there, but Synaptic goes to the Internet to find the file, and does not
recognize that the file to install is also on the DVD's. So I turned off
my Modem and tried to install the file again.

Now it goes to an error Failed to fetch. See it prefers the Internet for
software sources and not DVD's. The Disks are listed in Third Party is
there some way to access just that area, for Synaptic, so it points
there and can then use the DVD's.

Alfred!