ubuntu-ca Digest, Vol 52, Issue 3 Synaptic with CD

alfred alfred.s at nexicom.net
Sat Jul 4 19:07:15 UTC 2009

-----Original Message-----
From: Duffields <dhltd at telus.net>
To: ubuntu-ca at lists.ubuntu.com
Subject: Re: ubuntu-ca Digest, Vol 52, Issue 3 Synaptic with CD
Date: Sat, 4 Jul 2009 06:45:35 -0700
Mailer: KMail/1.9.10

On Sat July 4 2009 04:00:14 am ubuntu-ca-request at lists.ubuntu.com wrote:
> Today's Topics:
>
>    1. Re: Glitch in installing 9.04 as a Clean Install (Alfred)

> Message: 1
> Date: Fri, 03 Jul 2009 21:23:26 -0400
> From: Alfred <alfred.s at nexicom.net>
> Subject: Re: Glitch in installing 9.04 as a Clean Install
> To: The Canadian Ubuntu Users Community <ubuntu-ca at lists.ubuntu.com>
>
> Hi -All:
>
> I un-checked all Internet Software Sources in Software Sources under all
> that Tabs that listed them. I had Add CD Pressed under ADD CD, and read
> in successively each DVD from the 8 DVD set. From DVD 2 to DVD 8 Shows
> up in the Third Party List, after it read the Index Files on Each DVD,
> then I made sure there were check marks in front of each CD/DVD in that
> list.
>
> In Synaptic however, the indexes from the read CD/DVD's do not show up
> in the list of software available. So I can't very well select some
> software on a CD/DVD, and then stick in the DVD that it is on, and have
> it loaded from the DVD Repository. I asked thelinuxstore.org, for this
> info, the Commands to use, but no reply came.
>
> Is there a Package Manager that can work with CD/DVD Repositories in
> Terminal Mode, because when I reviewed the ISO files of the 8 DVD's all
> the Software on the Ubuntu 9.04 Repositories is on them, approx 32 Gigs
> of Software.
>
> What keywords would be useful for doing a search on Ubuntu to find out
> how to make use of such a Package Manager, in Terminal. I know APT and
> Aptitude can have CDROM words attached to them, Beginning Ubuntu Linux
> Keir Thomas Book, does not have much info on this, or perhaps I'm
> reading in the wrong place.
>
> Any Suggestions would be helpful -
>
> Tia
>
> Alfred!

There is a way to add a CD to the synaptics repositories.  See this link.

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/simple-package-management-with-synaptic-package-manager-in-ubuntu.html

The info on adding a CD source is near the end.  I have not used it myself but
looks like it should work OK.  If not, there are other reports on how to do
it.  Google "Using Synaptic with CD"

Mac

Thank you for this tip, I'll try it out very soon. I'm setting up 9.04
right at the moment, finally got the Mail imported into EVO, and
Bookmarks imported into Firefox.

I looked at apt cdrom and apt off, and aptoncd yesterday, it was a bit
complex, and many links on the Ubuntu pages were broken with 404 etc.

I just got the Modem working, after accessing the Help file on
installing a Modem, and getting the Chipset figured out in terminal.

Alfred!