Ubuntu 8.04, suddenly why does logging back in cause black screen?

Rudy Bartel rebartel at vcn.bc.ca
Mon Apr 27 08:15:15 UTC 2009

I ran into a similar problem with my machine that has integrated Intel 845G video.  When I first installed 8.04, it was fine, but after some time (possibly weeks) Ubuntu would freeze at bootup with a black screen after the logo/progress stage but before the login stage.  It seemed that one of the automatic updates to the Linux kernel had introduced the problem.  The work-around that I used to allow me to boot relatively normally was:

- initiate bootup of the machine
- at the start of the bootup process, press the ESC key to show the list of Linux kernel options
- select one of the previous kernel versions (i.e. not the one at the top of the list)
- continue to bootup normally

However, unlike yours, my problem seemed to have been resolved after I upgraded to 8.10, and so far 9.04 seems to be ok too.

--
Rudy.