hardy sound

George Borusiewich v.g.borus at sympatico.ca
Mon Jun 30 14:49:28 UTC 2008

Although I have been dual-booting linux since Ubuntu 6.06, I still
consider myself a "newbie" because I haven't bothered to dig deeper
into  linux as an operating system. Right from my first install of
Ubuntu 6.06, my computer has worked flawlessly (and without any
corrections, modifications, tweaking, etc.). I installed Hardy 8.04 and
my soundcard stopped working (no sound). The only sound that I do get is
the drumroll when the log-in window opens. I logged onto 2 forums on
Hardy sound, and they both suggested that Hardy's default usage of
"PulseAudio" (instead of the previous default usage of ALSA) was the
problem. I changed the default in my Hardy installation to ALSA. The
several test signals now sounded a tone (which they did not do under
PulseAudio), but still no sound. I re-installed Ubuntu 7.10, and
glorious sound came out of my speakers! Do I now wait for Ubuntu 8.10 to
fix the problem?  George Borusiewich