Better way to install/upgrade?

Eugene Cormier eugene.cormier at gmail.com
Wed Jun 25 14:00:59 UTC 2008

Geo, I personally think the 3 partition setup is the best

on my computers I use (in order):
15gb partition for the OS....or root
1gb swap partition
the rest for a home partition

this gives a couple of advantages.....for example....a fresh install for
me takes under a half hour....no backup to worry about....I just
reinstall Ubuntu to the first partition and the home partition stays
where it is untouched

another advantage would be that if I have too much data on my harddrive
and it fills up to the point that there is no room left, Ubuntu still
runs fine since it has room left on it's own partition (I can bring my
computers to a halt by copying too many files to the home dir)

my 2 cents

Eugene

On Wed, 2008-06-25 at 06:16 -0700, geo wrote:
> I'm currently running Ubuntu 7.10 and I received 8.04 on CD in the
> mail recently. I'l like to upgrade but that usually means wiping the
> whole drive (EEK!!).
>

> I have 50 gig of family stuff that would be lost forever (unless I can
> borrow my sister-in-law's USB drive???). The drive is 100 gig.
>

> Currently the drive is set up as 1 big partition with a small slice
> set aside as a swap.
>

> Would it make sense to set up 2 unequal partitions as well as a swap
> for a total of 3 partitions?
>

> 1 partition would contain only the operating system (maybe 10 gig?)
>
> 1 partition (the larger one) would contain the user home directories
> (maybe 85 gig?)
>
> 1 partition would be the swap partition (2 gig because my machine has
> 2 gig of RAM).
>

> Does this make sense? Would it work? Is it do-able? Let me know
> please, I have a 4 day weekend coming up and perhaps I'll have time to
> do some major housekeeping on the Dell.
>

> Thanks
>
> geo

*           Eugene Cormier             *
*          Acadia University           *
*        www.eugenecormier.com         *
*       eugene.cormier at gmail.com       *
*       DEN 152, (902) 585-1329        *
*    Classical Guitar, Guitar Class,   *
*    Guitar Ensemble, Prelim. Rud.     *