Ubuntu users in Ontario, Canada?

volksman v0lksman69 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 24 23:46:54 UTC 2008

You have some but not all this is the complete list to get Joomla
running as per my note I sent earlier:

apache2
apache2-doc
apache2-mpm-prefork
apache2-utils
libexpat1
ssl-cert
libapache2-mod-php5
php5
php5-common
php5-curl
php5-dev
php5-gd
php5-idn
php-pear
php5-imagick
php5-imap
php5-json
php5-mcrypt
php5-memcache
php5-mhash
php5-ming
php5-mysql
php5-ps
php5-pspell
php5-recode
php5-snmp
php5-sqlite
php5-tidy
php5-xmlrpc
php5-xsl
phpmyadmin
mysql-server
mysql-client
libmysqlclient15-dev

I believe your problem package right now is libapache2-mod-php5 which
isn't in your list but is needed to tell Apache to use PHP.  However if
you don't have all the above you are likely to run into problems later.

BTW:  I'm not going to get into a pissing match about what OS does what
in a certain way.  Fact is GNU/Linux has traditionally been used by sys
admins running headless servers (IE command line, all text, no
windows).  It was only two months ago that Ubuntu released their first
LTS server product (which still runs headless if you install by CD).
You can add a desktop later if you want.  Up to that point their main
focus for 4 years was bringing desktop environments to the average user,
not server environments.  So the interface just hasn't been built to
allow average users to setup and maintain server products without a
little hassle yet.  You think this is hard.  Try setting up a mail server.

However that said Ubuntu members are working this very problem:
http://en.emanuele-gentili.com/index.php/2008/06/14/rapache-is-born/

Very new (not sure there is even a release yet) but I bet the author
would like to have some n00bish input to the program.  That's why Ubuntu
rules.

Best of luck.  Let us know how it goes.