DreamHost

Tony Yarusso tonyyarusso at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 06:57:07 UTC 2008

On Wed, Feb 20, 2008 at 12:57 PM, Kip Warner <kip at thevertigo.com> wrote:

> So apparently DreamHost was to solve all of my problems. Basically I
> intend to travel for a few years backpacking and I won't have a desktop
> or laptop with me. But I will have an N810 and the idea of storing all
> of my data on a server and then mounting via fuse when I need to was
> quite rosy. Sadly, DreamHost claims that they don't allow you to use
> your account (500 GB at sign up) for personal backups and non
> web-related stuff. That is terrible and I figured others might want to
> know that in case they had plans to do the same.
>
> --
> Kip Warner -- Software Engineer
> OpenPGP encrypted/signed mail preferred
> http://www.thevertigo.com

Well, sort of.  They don't want to encourage that usage, but they also don't
actually do anything to stop you.  As long as you put up a web site that you
can say is your "primary use", there's nothing really stopping you from
putting up some files in another directory.  (I do it.)   Even better, store
your data as a blog, so that we can follow along with your travels.  ;)

--
Tony Yarusso
http://tonyyarusso.com/