ubuntu-ca Digest, Vol 35, Issue 25, question (Eugene Cormier)

Gordon Dey gordon.dey at happydeys.ca
Thu Feb 21 00:44:26 UTC 2008

> From: Eugene Cormier <eugene.cormier at gmail.com>

> exist?? (maybe as well it would be nice to know what files were
> requested).....for now I've been keeping my access.log and error.log
> open in gedit which notifies me when things have changed, but on this
> machine xfce+gnomesysmon+gedit is really chugging....plus I know I

Five thoughts:

1. Look at statistics with tools like "top" and/or "free". Then either turn off
  the X11 servers or bring the box up without the X11. (Try rcconf as a tool
for easily managing services to startup.) Compare statistics again. I think
you'll find there's more performance possible without X11 clients and server
trying to share the 128 MB with apache2 et al.

2. Do you access the box locally? If so, you can add targets like "/dev/tty8"
in /etc/syslog.conf and then use the alt-F8 or similar sequence to flip between
screens to watch stuff in real-time.

3. A similar approach, that would work within a ssh session, is the venerable
"tail" command with the "-f" argument. Use screen or use multiple ssh sessions,
either case, have "tail -f /var/log/apache2/access.log" in one and another for
the error.log in the other. A shell+tail is low overhead and it will scroll in
real-time. Add sessions as necessary.

4. Watch out for log-rotate; it's job is to swap the log files regularly, and
if you have an image of one open, you won't notice when it's unlinked...except
there doesn't seem to be any more entries after 6:30 some morning! :)

5. Another utility that may work for you is logcheck; it can package up and
email you that what it's told "interesting" looks like. This can be done more
frequently during busy times and less when you're not there to look at them,
just tweak the crontab to suit.

Gord.