Steve Jobs and Benny Hinn (rant)

Denver Gingerich denver at ossguy.com
Tue Feb 19 04:36:24 UTC 2008

On Feb 18, 2008 4:29 PM, Kip Warner <kip at thevertigo.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-02-18 at 16:14 -0500, mcr at xdsinc.net wrote:
> >   Apple made their patches available, it's all out there, and you can
> > download it and build it.   But, maybe the code was crap and the gdb
> > maintainers turned the code down as being crap.
> >

> I would be very interested in seeing these supposed patches. And just as
> interestingly, I'd like you to show me where, if at all, these patches
> have been applied to mainline...
>
> http://sourceware.org/gdb/current/

>From what I can tell, Apple does not distribute its modifications to
open source projects as patches.  Rather, it distributes the entire
modified source code.  If you want a patch, you have to diff Apple's
source with the original source.

Apple's source code, including source code for developer tools such as
GDB, is available at the following URL:

http://www.opensource.apple.com/darwinsource/

This URL was obtained by doing a web search for "apple open source"
(less the quotes), clicking the first link, and finding Darwin in the
Open Source Project Links section.  So it is not too hard to get to,
but it could definitely be easier.

> >   GPL gives you the right to innovate and to share.
> >   It doesn't give you the right to have your contributions accepted.
>
> Right. It gives you the right to share. But if you take what others have
> shared with you under the GPL, and you modify it, you have to share
> those changes back.

Apple appears to have done that (see above), although what they've
provided is the bare minimum required by the GPL.  I will provide more
of my thoughts on this in a follow-up post.

Denver