debian-etch gateway

Tom Daly tom_d at chebucto.ns.ca
Mon Aug 4 16:49:49 UTC 2008

R. Wood wrote:

> You may need to supplement this article above with other
> HOWTO's/tutorials/articles

that's part of the problem- there are so many ...

> I say leave firewalls to the professionals: find a
> good 'firewall script'

I wouldn't know a "good" script from a "not-good" script if it bit me on
the leg :-(

> Two examples of firewall scripts are:
> shorewall

I checked, and version 3.2.6 is installed on my etch machine
<http://www.shorewall.net/two-interface.htm> says:
"This article applies to Shorewall 4.0 and later"
Should I remove it and install current?

<http://www.shorewall.net/Install.htm> says:
 > First, to ensure that you are installing the latest version of
 > Shorewall, please modify your /etc/apt/preferences:
 > Package: shorewall
 > Pin: release o=Debian,a=testing
 > Pin-Priority: 700
 > Package: shorewall-doc
 > Pin: release o=Debian,a=testing
 > Pin-Priority: 700
 > Then run:
 > # apt-get update
 > # apt-get install shorewall

which is fine, but I don't have an /etc/apt/preferences file to modify.
  Create it?

perhaps you can see why I'm asking questions ... :-)