Good Online Reference

Daniel Robitaille robitaille at gmail.com
Sat May 26 03:45:10 UTC 2007

On 5/25/07, Tee Jay Rosene <teejayrosene at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey all, I have a quick question pertaining to online information sources.
> Today I was in Chapters and I saw a few very good books on Ubuntu--one in
> particular called Ubuntu Unleashed. It had tonnes of information packed in
> chronological, logical order.
> I really wanted it, but I couldn't justify dishing out nearly $80 for a book
> (actually my better half talked me out of it...probably for the best).
> Anyway, that got me thinking...there must be information available like
> this, somewhere on the net? I do frequent ubuntuforums.org, and I love it,
> but the reason why I liked these books was because it presented information
> to me that I wasn't going out to get. Instead, I could turn from page to
> page and become a better Ubuntu user because of what I'd learn.
> Also, I've already downloaded the "Official" Ubuntu book, and it has been
> helpful, but what if I want to get some hacks or more in depth info?
> Thanks in advance,
> Tee Jay

You could dig into the various documents on http://help.ubuntu.com
(and it seems versions 6.06 and 6.10 contains book-like pdf files)

My personal favourite a few years back was the RUTE book:
  http://rute.2038bug.com

Not Ubuntu specific (it was created in 2002), but you can get the PDF
to print your own book.  And most of it is fundamental Unix/Linux
stuff applicable to any Linux distro:

===============
1.1 What This Book Covers

This book covers GNU/LINUX system administration, for popular
distributions like RedHat and Debian, as a tutorial for new users and
a reference for advanced administrators. It aims to give concise,
thorough explanations and practical examples of each aspect of a UNIX
system. Anyone who wants a comprehensive text on (what is commercially
called) ``LINUX'' need look no further--there is little that is not
covered here.

--
Daniel Robitaille