problems mounting a harddisk

Dennis d'Entremont dennis.dentremont at gmail.com
Sun Jul 22 13:55:16 UTC 2007

Hi All,

I'm running Ubuntu 7.04 (64Bit) and have installed a 40GB hard drive as a
slave (cd rom is master) on my IDE channel. My main disk is a 250GB SATA
drive.

When I run GPARTED it get an error telling me I do not have permission to
mount the drive. I ran gparted (sudo) and was able to get the drive
formatted but it still wouldn't mount. I was finally able to get it to mount
from the command line (with sudo) but for some reason I can't get it to
mount when I'm running it as a regular user.

Do I need to add an entry to the fstab file for this to work properly? Any
ideas?

Thanks
Dennis

--