TWO RESTARTS TO MOUNT REMOVABLE DRIVES

Maurice Murphy m1625 at rogers.com
Thu Feb 15 16:54:08 UTC 2007

Hi Peter,

My adventures were not too successful, I'm afraid.  I tried copying a
modified xorg.conf file from my live CD.  I found I could not copy it to
a removable drive, even as sudo.  So that experiment was a no go.

I tried modifying my existing xorg.conf by amending the HorizSynch and
VertRefresh numbers to those suggested in bug#3731, (My current values
are: HorizSynch 28-204, VertRefresh 43-60.  This gives me 8 different
screen resolution options!)

When I restarted after this modification, my screen bombed with its
usual blue floating no screen driver message.  So I did an emergency
restart and copied my original xorg.conf back again.  Fortunately,
everything then worked OK.

So I think I'm going to stay a chicken, there would be just too much
backup and post install modification work to making a single boot Ubuntu
and even then, I would have no guarantee that the screen resolution
problem would be resolved.  Besides, my dual boot works just fine in
every respect and I really don't need to go and look at Windows XP
except in dire emergency or when Windows needs its frequent security
updates!

I still have the "two restarts to mount removable drives quirk."  Any
ideas anyone?

Thanks,

Maurice

--