[TLUG]: of Hackers, Newbies and Fanboys

Alfred alfred.s at nexicom.net
Tue Feb 13 03:40:47 UTC 2007

Hi: Alf to the rescue! About last week, I offered a bit of advice on
setting up a Dial-up service, for a Newbie that wanted to know how it
was done. When I set up my, e-mail set-up it was not real easy, it
required a few experiments to figure out how to do it. So I got the guy
to connect, but then the authentication was not just right, so the mail
server on his IP, shut down seconds after connecting. I've noticed that
many Computer people are somewhat impatient. If something does not work
as of Last Week, then they move on to something else, in an Atto-second!
That is what happened to that Newbie, he went on to Xandros. Ice Houses
are Nice, but little things like this, take away from, little
demonstrations, and giving out free discs, when things don't work real
smoothly.

I know some Distros, are real easy to set up. I thought about it a bit.
How hard would it be to fill in the blanks from a look-up table. Perhaps
have a choice on a menu of Automatic and Manual Setup. Then Fill in The
Phone Number of the IP, and the User ID, and Password. Then the URL of
the IP. Then from a look-up table supply all the other data, required
for that IP's Mail server, so that the Newbie user, does not have to
spend weeks getting the mail server working. It's Automatic now! Takes a
few seconds and it works, 98% of the time. In seconds not Weeks! I'm not
doing programming any more, mainly because, all the 6502 assembler, got
mixed up with the 8080 assembler, got mixed up with the Z80 Assembler,
got mixed up with the 16F84 codes, so there was just too much
instructions for someone to learn and keep separated. Z80 had 400,
instructions. By the time I got good at them, it was just about
obsolete.

I'm not even sure whom to direct this too, but if you know, please pass
it along.

Alfred!